I have decided that our household should have Vegan Wednesdays. Vegan because I firmly believe that Western societies should eat far less meat than they do, and Wednesdays because there are no whinging children here on Wednesdays to complain about it.
I love kale. Absolutely love the shit out of it. People say it’s a hipster food. I try to tell them I was into eating it before the hipsters were and they laugh at me. No idea why.
A bunch of kale (I don’t know how much was in my bunch. I just get it delivered to me as a bunch)
75g roasted unsalted cashews (It was a 100g tub, but I ate some)
2/3 cup olive oil (maybe)
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped roughly
Salt and pepper to taste
To serve: 250g fettuccine, juice of half a lemon
1. Peel the kale leaves off the ribs and rip them into large chunks.
2. Place the kale leaves in a food processor with the cashews, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
3. Pulse the food processor until the pesto is very smooth. Taste the pesto and adjust the olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. If not using straight away, spoon into a sterilised jar and store in the fridge. Use within a week. Chuck it out if it grows mould smells bad.
4. Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water, according to instructions.
5. When the pasta is almost done, fry off 2-3 big spoonfuls of pesto in a large frypan. Don’t overcook it, or the kale will use its flavour.
6. Turn the heat off the pesto and spoon the cooked pasta straight from the saucepan and into the frying pan. You want it to bring some of the starchy pasta water into the frying pan. It will thicken the consistency of the pesto to make it sauce-like.
7. Squeeze lemon juice over the pasta and serve.