- 2 1/2 cups of self raising flour
- 1 cup of milk
- 25g melted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
For sweet muffins
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- About 400g of filling (such as 200g chopped strawberries and 200g white choc chips)
For savoury muffins
- 2 good pinches of salt (or probably about a teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup of yoghurt OR 1 tablespoon of mustard mixed into milk
- About 300-400g filling (such as 100g bacon, 150g feta, and 50g kale)
The acidity in the recipe is important. The acid in the yoghurt or mustard reacts with the bicarbonate in the flour and helps the heavy batter rise. Without it, you’ll end up with a flat dense round thing, and not a muffin.
- Pre-heat the oven to about 190C (my oven sucks, though, so if this sounds too high for yours, try 170-180C).
- Mix the dry ingredients together, the dump the wet straight on top. Mix well.
- Mix in your filling.
- Grease and line a 6 cup muffin tray with baking paper.
- Bake for about 25-30 mins. Test with a skewer before removing from the oven. If the tops are getting too brown and the middle is still wet, cover with foil.